The Southeast Asia plastic compounding market size is anticipated to reach USD 6.7 billion by 2026, accelerating at a CAGR of 8.9% from 2019 to 2026, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Rapidly developing construction and automobile markets are anticipated to drive the demand for interiors, exteriors, and underhood components. Major application areas of plastic compounding involve underhood components in the automotive industry, building interiors and exteriors in construction and infrastructure industries, and in electronics, durables, and wire and cable industries.
The market for plastic compounding in Southeast Asia is likely to be driven by the increasing demand for compounded products in automotive, building & construction, electrical & electronics, packaging, consumer goods, industrial machinery, medical devices, and optical media applications. Regulatory intervention to reduce gross vehicle weight to improve fuel efficiency and ultimately reduce carbon emissions have driven automotive OEMs to adopt compounded plastics as a substitute to metals for fabricating automotive components.
Optical media is anticipated to be the fastest-growing application segment by 2026 both in terms of volume and revenue in Southeast Asia market. Due to their superior properties and moldability, compounded plastics are being used as a replacement for metals and other engineering plastics. They are also widely utilized in automotive applications with their scope extending from interior components to exterior parts. This aids in reducing the overall vehicle weight and increasing fuel efficiency, while maintaining quality standards.
Over the past few years, there has been a considerable demand for plastic compounding with the end product being used as a replacement for metals and alloys across various industries such as automotive, industrial machinery, and consumer goods. The compounding industry’s criticality lies on technology as the ever-increasing requirement of end users, in terms of product specification and versatility, gradually tends to overshadow consumption dynamics. Other factors, such as feedstock availability, production processes, and sociopolitical events, also have a significant impact on industry trends.
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- Polypropylene (PP) segment occupied the largest revenue share in 2018 and is projected to continue to be the largest segment in the Southeast Asia market over the forecast period
- Increasing requirement for flame retardancy, heat resistance, and improved serviceability is anticipated to drive the demand for products formed through compounding process in electronics & electrical industry
- The automotive segment accounted for 24.2% of the Southeast Asian market in 2018, in terms of revenue, and it is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.1% over the forecast period
- Indonesia dominated the market for plastic compounding in the Southeast Asian region in 2018 both in terms of volume and revenue and is expected to continue its domination over the forecast period
- Key players include in Southeast Asia plastic compounding market are BASF SE, SABIC, LyondellBasell Industries N.V., Kraton Polymers Inc., RTP Company, The 3M Company, Teijin Plastics, among others.