The global protein purification and isolation market size is expected to reach USD 11.2 billion by 2027, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., registering a CAGR of 8.3% over the forecast period. Increase in technological advancements and investments for the development of structure-based drugs by both private and public research organizations are driving the demand for protein purification and isolation products.
Rising demand for the development of single-use products for purification due to increasing need to classify novel protein-based ligands with high specificity and improved proteomics research are further driving market growth. Another factor driving the adoption rate of protein purification techniques is the availability of an extensive range of innovative resins for various applications.
The key players operating in the market are Merck KGaA; Thermo Fisher Scientific; Qiagen; Sigma-Aldrich Co.; GE Healthcare; Agilent Technologies; Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.; Norgen Biotek Corporation; Abcam plc, and Promega Corporation. Market players are adopting strategies such as expansion of product portfolio through R&D initiatives, mergers, acquisitions, and strategic collaborations to further strengthen their position in the market.
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- The reagents segment is estimated to register a significant growth rate over the forecast period. This is attributed to its high usage in cell lysis and increased commercialization of advanced resins
- The pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors have seen huge investments in terms of research and development of novel drugs in recent years, which has driven the demand for protein purification and isolation. Pharmaceutical manufacturers are also heavily investing in the R&D process, which is driving the global market
- The growing requirement of identifying new ligands (substances that form a complex with a biomolecule for serving a biological purpose), as well as the development of rapid purification kits that can screen, prepare, purify and concentrate protein samples. The need to identify new protein molecules, as well as purify and isolate functional proteins with minimum contamination, is another factor driving the global market
- The market has also received encouragement from government initiatives and investments that promote the growth and development of biotechnology and pharmaceutical sectors, while also offering benefits such as tax incentives and grants. The development of biomarker specific molecules has made the pharmaceutical sector a very lucrative one for the protein purification and isolation market.
- Other factors that are providing an impetus to market growth include technological advancements, with magnetic and protein beads, and ligand tagging system being preferred over more conventional methods such as use of agarose beads and other resins. Another market driving factor is the growing usage of automated analyzers.
- Consumables such as reagents, kits, resins and magnetic beads are very commonly used in the market, with kits dominating the consumables product segment in 2019 on account of advantages such as ability to isolate GST-tagged protein from crude or cleared lysate. The reagents segment is witnessing high growth on account of its high usage, and their contribution in ensuring accurate and precise results. The instruments segment is expected to witness steady growth through 2027.
- Chromatography, which is a mixture separation technique, emerged as the largest revenue generating segment in 2019, and its usefulness and accuracy in the isolation and purification of proteins, along with the various types of chromatography techniques on offer, make it a very attractive segment in the market, and manufacturers are investing heavily in this area
- Protein-protein interaction application segment generated the largest revenue in 2019, while the drug screening segment is expected to show fastest growth in the coming years. Drug screening enables development of drugs that have far fewer side-effects than conventional medicines, while also being more effective. Increasing investments on drug screening through structure-based studies and protein-protein interaction is expected to drive the market.
- North America dominated the global protein purification and isolation market in 2019 owing to factors such as established research infrastructure, presence of major players, and technological advancements in the region
- Asia Pacific is estimated to register the highest CAGR over the forecast period due to increasing economic stability, growing number of CROs, and R&D activities in academic and research institutes.