The global attention deficit hyperactivity disorder market size is expected to reach USD 24.9 billion by 2025, based on a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., exhibiting a 6.4% CAGR during the forecast period. Increase in awareness regarding ADHD among patients, physicians, and other healthcare providers is likely to up demand for effective treatment, in turn, propelling market growth.
Furthermore, there has been a steady rise in ADHD patients during the last 20 years. According to a study conducted by the National Health Interview Survey, the prevalence of ADHD among children and adolescents in U.S. rose from 6.1% in 1997–1998 to 10.2% in 2015–2016.
Approval and commercialization of drugs, increase in number of clinical trials, and rise in awareness regarding diagnosis and treatment of the condition is expected to boost market growth over the forecast period.
Further key findings from the study suggest:
- Increasing access to health insurance for mental health treatment and rising incidence of ADHD are expected to propel market growth in the coming years
- By drug type, the stimulant drugs segment accounted for the largest share in the market in 2018 and is anticipated to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. This can be attributed to effectiveness of drugs in treating of ADHD symptoms and commercialization of new drugs
- Based on demographics, adults held the maximum share in the ADHD market in 2018 due to high prevalence of the condition across the globe, increased awareness about mental health, and launch of effective drugs with minimum adverse effects
- By distribution channel, retail pharmacy accounted for the largest share in 2018 due to increasing number of prescriptions. This can be attributed to rise in patient care initiatives by retail pharmacies
- Geographically, North America dominated the global ADHD market in 2018 owing to high awareness of mental health, increasing patient population, and local presence of market players
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to observe significant growth during the forecast period owing to government initiatives to provide effective treatment for ADHD and rising patient population due to stressful lifestyle
- Some of the key players in the market are Eli Lily & Company; Pfizer; Johnson & Johnson Services, LLC; Lupin; Shire; Mallinckrodt; Prude Pharma L.P.; and NEOS Therapeutics Inc.